Resources, Events and Ideas
- Tree identification is simple using a dichotomous key.
- The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has information on spring ephemerals and all kinds of wildflowers throughout the country.
- Dive deep with the New York Natural Heritage Program‘s plant guide.
- NY Flora Atlas has a list of species by county for hyperlocal help.
- Invasive plants are an ongoing issue; check the Nature Events Calendar for programs to identify and remove them from local preserves.
- Phenology is the study of seasonal changes in plants and animals. There are several phenology trails in Westchester where you can see the cyclical life of plants and trees in action. Visit Teatown, Ward Pound Ridge or Mianus River Gorge.
- Learn how to identify the ferns growing in Westchester woodlands.
- All hail the humble moss, bringer of oxygen and life to Earth!